This upgrade replaced the signalized intersection at Highway 17 and McTavish Road. As the Major Structures Contractor, Kinetic performed the construction of a steel tub girder underpass and pedestrian overpass.
Features of the new interchange:
- Roundabouts to improve safety and travel time for various modes of transportation including transit, cycling and walking to Victoria International Airport and ferry terminals, and local traffic travelling within the community or to adjacent municipalities.
- Improved opportunities for future transit service, including access for Rapid Bus, and an expansion of the current park-and-ride service (for a total of about 200 spaces).
- Access for cyclists and pedestrians with pathways and a separate crossing.
- Better air quality due to reduced greenhouse gas emissions and more efficient energy use due to less idling / stop-and-go traffic and increased use of transit.
- Reduced noise caused by stop-and-go traffic.