Kinetic awarded Camosun Trades Training Facility
Kinetic has been awarded and named General Contractor for the Centre for Trades Education and Innovation at Victoria’s Camosun College. The tender closed March 4, with Kinetic as low bidder.
This is an exciting project for Kinetic but even more so for the construction industry on Vancouver Island: the Centre will be training the next generation of skilled tradespeople.
The new $22 million, 78,600 square foot learning centre will be built to LEED gold standards and includes:
- A new Marine and Metal Trades Centre – Welding, Sheet Metal, Metal Fabrication, Nautical & Ship Building and Repair programs
- A new Mechanical Trades Centre – Heavy Duty/Commercial Truck Transport & Automotive Service Technician programs
- Re-purposing the Jack White Trades Building – as a revitalized Sustainable Construction and Renewable Energy Trades Centre – to house Electrical, Plumbing and Piping Trades, and future Renewable Energy programs.
- Re-purposing the John Drysdale Trades Building as a new Technology and Innovation Centre – Carpentry and Joinery programs may stay here (TBA). This facility will also house a general purpose classroom space and trades equipment storage.
- A new central student commons facility to serve the combined trades centres
- Expanded and reconfigured trades yard space, outdoor storage and construction project areas with improved accessibility.
- Critical upgrades to electrical service for existing trades buildings.